Every now and then we will be giving you some fact about our animals that will help you get to know them.
Today’s animals are Jess and Georgie our red foot tortoises.
Jess and George are 6 years old (Born 2011) and were born in captivity.
They like most red foot tortoises have lots of character and are every lively. In the wild they walk for miles searching for food that they scavenge from the floor such as fruits, vegetation and even the occasional baby mouse.
Jess and Georgie are reptiles so they are not able to regulate their blood temperature being cold blooded. The often bath in the sun to warm themselves up or hide in the shade to cool down.
Red foot tortoises like Jess and Georgie in the wild come from the Amazon rain forest, where it is hot and humid. We replicate that in their vivarium by providing heat, humidity and UV light so they stay healthy.
They can grow to the size of a dinner plate and live to 50 years.
It can be difficult to find out which is boy and girl when younger. When they are 5+ it is easier and you can tell by the different shapes. Females have much shorter tails and the males have a concave plastron. Red Foot Tortoises can’t be sexed until they reach 6-7” as it can be difficult to do this accurately before they reach this size.
Check out the picture below so you can see visually what we are talking about.
Here at some facts about Chinchillas you may not have known.
Chinchillas are native to the Andes Mountains in South America and can live as high up as 4,270 m.
2. Chinchillas live in groups called herds. They are very social animals that enjoy the company of other chinchillas.
3. Chinchillas are currently listed as a critically endangered species by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species due to a severe population loss approximated at a 90% global population loss over the last 15 years. The severe population decline has been caused by chinchilla hunting by humans for their fur to be used for clothing.
4. Raisins and sultanas are ideal treats for chinchillas and can be used as a reward in training too.
5. chinchilla teeth are always growing so they need plenty of hard material to eat and chew on.
At PB Animal Adventures we have 3 Leopard Geckos, we refer to the 3 T’s. They are called Trudi, Tess and Tommy.
Here are some facts about Leopard Geckos you may not know that you could learn more about at your animal encounter, birthday party, care home, corporate event etc.
Leopard Geckos are the only type of gecko that have eye lids to keep their eyes clean. Other breeds of gecko use their tounge to clean their eyes.
2) When predators try to grab a leopard geckos tail, the gecko has the abiity to drop their tail, to enable them to get away from quickly. Geckos store protein from their food in their tails and therefore when their tails drop they need to eat more regulalry. The tail does partially grow back.
3) Leopard geckos are found in Afghanistan, northwestern India, Pakistan, Iran, and Iraq.
4) Leopard geckos live in rocky deserts and sparse grasslands. They avoid sandy deserts. They are mostly nocturnal, keeping out of the heat of the day, and emerging at night from holes and crevices to hunt for food. Leopard geckos are not found off of the ground very often.
5) With eyesight comparable to a cat’s, geckos can see better than any other lizard.
So there are just 5 of the may facts you could learn about leopard geckos.
Want to learn more and meet Trudi, Tess and Tommy, then you can visit us at www.pbanimaladventures.co.uk to book your animal adventures with us.
At PB Animal Adventures we have a range of interesting and fun animals from those that are furry and cuddly, our creepy crawlies and our weird and wonderful animals. Our animals make a great addition to any Halloween Party, making yours stand out from all the rest.
Check out this video to see what we can offer your party.
We have had Cedric our Giant African Millipede Cedric for 2 1/2 years and he is a popular part of our animal family attending birthday parties, corporate events, schools and clubs, per-schools etc.
Cedric comes from East Africa in places such a Mozambique and Kenya. His species is mostly found living in forests.
His species of millipede is one of the largest growing up to 38.5 centimeters long.
His defense if he feels threatened is to curl up into a tight spiral exposing only their exoskeleton and secreting a smelly liquid that can be irritating.
Millipedes eat all sorts of food including bananas, tomatoes, lettuce, apples, cucumbers, fruits, vegetables. They also need a supply of calcium which can be added to their diet in the form of calcium powder or a cuttle fish.
Cedric is a popular part of our events and the children find him fascinating.
At PB Animal Adventures we have lots of animals that are handled regularly and are very tame. This makes our job so much easier when we visit the children at birthday parties, schools and clubs, elderly people in care homes, our clients living with learning disabilities and the busy environment of a corporate event.
Our animals always present themselves calmly and graciously to provide a close encounter for our clients that is safe and fun.
Vinnie our bearded dragon is no exception to that rule and is one of the favourite animals of our customers.
Check out this YouTube video to get to know Vinnie some more.
PB Animal Adventures is a Dorset based animal encounter company for all types of events and venues. Whether you would like to book us for children’s parties, schools or clubs or a care home, PB Animal Adventures will bring excitement and learning in an event you won’t forget by giving you an up and personal encounter with animals every time we visit. Our quick and easy, hassle free set-up will put the event in almost any scenario so we can bring the animal encounters to you.
We have loads of animals that could be brought to you.
Check out our video to see what animals you could have at your next event.
At PB Animal Adventures we are use to going to all kinds of places for all kind of reasons. We have been to children’s parties, birthday parties, corporate events, care homes, schools and much more.
We will be good for your event because:
1) We come with an easy set up for almost all venues.
2) We provide interesting and fun facts about the animals.
3) Our animals and staff are friendly and enjoy visiting you all.
4) The staff at PB Animal Adventures have a range of experience working with various people with different needs including children, people living with dementia, people with learning disabilities and much more.
5)A visit from PB Animal Adventures will make your event stand out from all the rest by bringing something cool and different that will be remembered by all.
Check out this video to see a bit more about us at PB Animal Adventures.